In this busy world, people do not have enough time to keep their body fit, so they are searching for the perfect and healthy alternative. Yoga is an outstanding and excellent alternative that is highly suitable for individual who want to obtain lots of health benefits in a safe way. Ardha Matsyendrasana or half spinal twist yoga pose is major asanas effectively practiced in the hatha yoga. In Sanskrit, the ‘ardha’ means ‘half’ and ‘matsya’ means ‘fish’. The ‘asana’ means ‘pose’ and ‘indra’ means ‘king’. This literally means half twist pose of king of the fishes. But probably the name came from the truth that it was effectively promoted by the famous Guru of Navnath tradition, popularly known as Yogi Matsyendranath. The most popular guru taught an essential asana called Matsyendrasana, which is really the complete spinal twist pose. The half lord of this fishes pose, Vakrasana or Half Spinal Twist Pose is an excellent yoga pose that appears as the seated spinal twist along with different modifications, and appears as the best one of 12 basic asanas in various systems if the Hatha Yoga. The best and effective posture brings you lots of ultimate benefits to your spine. When you do this yoga pose, the complete length of your spine receives the lateral twist in both the directions. This asana includes different movements that tones your ligaments and spinal nerves, and enhance your digestion. The Ardha Matsyendrasana or Half-Spinal Twist prepares your body for advanced full pose.
The Ardha Matsyendrasana is a useful yoga pose that helps people obtain lots of useful health benefits. The following steps surely help you to perfect this asana safely.
- You can sit with your legs straight and stretched in front of you.
- You can bend your right leg, lift it properly and place it on left side of your stretched left foot
- After that, you can bend your left leg, and then bring to very close to your body. Now, place it under your right buttocks
- Take your left arm around your right arm and get the toes of your right leg along with left hand. Your left armpits should be close to your right knee. It may be little difficult in the beginning. Along with this, you require the flexibility of the spine and back in order to achieve this. If you cannot grip your toes, you can hold the part of your lower leg or ankle to begin with. The proper practice helps you to hold your toes easily.
- After that, you turn towards your right and concurrently move your right hand following the back. You can twist the back as well as neck to as far as possible. Exhale while twisting your neck and back.
- You can remain in the position for some time. Breath slowly and normally in your final position. You will keep the position for few minutes based on your comfort level.
- You can return to your normal position. You can inhale while returning back to your original position
- Repeat this process with your other leg
Breathing Activities Of Ardha Matsyendrasana
Breath in while stretching forward, breath out while twisting. You can take many breaths going into the demanding twist, as well as take additional breathes in order to go much deeper. Then, you can release tight grip of your twist and pause in order to feel the useful effects. You will find that you are really more aware of how you actually feel emotionally and physically.
In order to start with this yoga pose, you can be held for short time, but gradually be creating up to 2 minutes. The regular practice helps you to keep it for 5 minutes on two sides.
The Ardha Matsyendrasana is an essential yoga pose that helps you to obtain lots of surprising health benefits.
- It strengthens and tones your obliques and abs
- The pose energizes and stretches the spine
- Open your shoulders, hips and neck
- Increase the flexibility in your spine and hips
- It also cleanses your internal organs
- It will improves digestion as well as elimination of the wastes
- Relives the symptoms of fatigue, backache, sciatica and menstrual discomfort
- It can stimulate your spleen, kidneys, lungs, heart and liver
- This pose releases the excess toxins and heat from your body tissues and organs
Ardha Matsyendrasana should be completely avoided during menstruation and pregnancy due to the powerful twist in your abdomen. Individuals with the abdominal, brain or heart surgeries never practice this yoga pose or asana.
The most useful Ardha Matsyendrasana includes two different preparatory poses such as leg movements and Vakrasana Type 1 & Type 2. After practicing the asana constantly for some time full Matsyendrasana pose can be effectively practiced.