Health Benefits Of An Adjustable Bed
Adjustable beds have many advantages over traditional beds, including several health benefits. Adjustable beds provide better spine alignment, better circulation and help reduce snoring. They work well with memory foam mattresses, thin latex foam mattresses and thin, flexible innerspring mattresses.
What is an adjustable bed?
The phrase “adjustable bed” generally refers to an adjustable bed frame, not the mattress. An adjustable bed frame is an electric-powered powered bed frame that can be raised or lowered at several points, which changes the mattress’s position. Adjustable bed frames typically do not come with mattresses, but some mattresses bundle mattresses and adjustable bed frames for a discounted price.
Adjustable bed health benefits
Adjustable beds are more comfortable than traditional bed frames and come with multiple health benefits. Some of the major benefits of having an adjustable base include:
- Better posture: If you feel like your body is incorrectly aligned, leading to uncomfortable sleeping positions, an adjustable bed might help. Using an adjustable bed frame lets you customize your mattress position to align your posture, leading to better digestion, less tension in your shoulders and more restful sleep.
- Support where you need it: An adjustable bed’s partially upright position helps provide full-body support, but adjustable frames also target specific areas that require increased support and comfort. Upright positions can reduce back pain and lessen the effects of heartburn, and a zero-gravity position can provide relief from sciatica and arthritis.
- Improved circulation: Certain adjustable bed positions can improve blood circulation, especially ones that elevate knees. This position is a great option for people with mobility issues, swelling in the legs or general discomfort.
How do adjustable beds work?
Adjustable beds have two components: the bed frame and the mattress. You use a remote or an app to control the bed frame, which raises and lowers at multiple to change the mattress’s position. Most adjustable beds can adjust to a zero-gravity position, a position invented by NASA and similar to the posture astronauts take as they launch into space. In the zero-gravity position, the head and knees are elevated, improving posture and circulation. You need to pair your adjustable bed with a compatible mattress.
The mattress you use with an adjustable bed should be flexible and durable. Memory foam and latex foam mattresses work best, but some innerspring mattresses can also work. When you use an adjustable bed appropriately, you can expect some significant health benefits.
Adjustable bed options
- Split adjustable beds: If you and your partner have different sleep position preferences, don’t worry. Split adjustable beds allow couples to select different alignment settings.
- Bluetooth and apps: Certain adjustable bed frames are Bluetooth-compatible or come with an app that lets you easily adjust the position from your smartphone or other compatible devices.
- Adjustable bed warranty: If you want to make sure repairs are covered, look for an adjustable bed with a 10-20 year warranty.
Are adjustable beds worth it?
Adjustable beds are an excellent option for those looking to sleep soundly, feel better and improve their overall health. If you’re interested in learning more about the benefits of adjustable beds and which brands offer the best adjustable frames, check out the Best Adjustable Bed Brands guide at ConsumerAffairs.com.