The Mayurasana is also called as the peacock pose. The term Mayura indicates peacock; so it named as peacock pose. It is especially difficult for all beginners, but, need some practice for few weeks to complete this yogasana without difficulty. The main thing is you have to have your patience while doing this asana.
- The first thing, you have to take some rest and keep patience before doing this asana.
- After some rest, sit in Vajrasana
- Now, slowly make some space between knees and just sit on your heels.
- Press your palms completely on the floor through your fingers that turned backwards.
- The palms should be kept between the two thighs with full comfort and convenience.
- The two elbows should kept under the upper abdomen.
- Bring the head forward over the elbows, bring the body weight on to your elbows
- Now, slowly move your legs backwards, and keep it straight without bend.
- Lift your entire body from the floor completely and keep your elbows strong while lifting your body.
- You have to take a control while raising your total body weight.
- Attain patience while you are in this stage and raise your body slowly.
- Don’t let your body touch the floor and keep lifting your body with your capability.
- Keep your body horizontal and exactly parallel to the floor.
- Your body weight should be controlled by the palms and elbows on the abdomen.
- Keep in this yoga pose for around 5 more seconds.
- Raise it slowly up to 1 minute and more as your body permits.
- To release from the asana, slowly put your head on the floor
- Fold at the knees, bring right foot forward, and then left foot
- Slowly raise your head, and then release your hands
Breathe slowly as you do this asana.
Start with few seconds in the beginning, as you become comfortable, slowly increase the duration that you spend in this pose.
- This yoga pose is mainly effective for digestive system and rejuvenates the entire internal organs such as kidneys, stomach, spleen, liver, pancreas, and intestines.
- Increased stability and flexibility in the hands. You can feel the difference when you do this pose regularly.
- It can keep you young and stay fit by doing this special yoga for internal organs.
- It makes your digestive system strong.
- It raises your body energy.
- It also provides additional strength to your arms, forearms, and shoulder muscles.
- It also helps to alleviate conditions like piles, diabetes and constipation.
Before doing this pose; check on the following conditions:
- In the beginning get into the pose slowly to ensure the body is ready for this asana.
- Not recommended for individuals with any medical issues like heart problems, high blood pressure, and ulcer.
- Women must avoid doing this pose during pregnancy and menstruation period.
- You have to do this asana on empty stomach and do not do this asana after eating meals or after taking lot of water into your stomach.
This Mayurasana includes various complementing yoga poses like Padma Mayurasana (Lotus peacock pose), Pincha Mayurasana (Feathered peacock pose) and Uttana Padma Mayurasana (Intense stretch lotus peacock pose).